Thursday, January 7, 2010

I'm more of a Lucy Ricardo kinda gal...



Those of you who know me probably know of my distaste for all things "Relief Society". Now just wait a second! Before you judge or think to yourself, "gasp! That's just so sad! A little attitude change and she could be enjoy all the many blessings this sisterhood holds", you have to know something about me.

That something is that I have never been a big "gal pal" kind of girl. Most of my friends in high school were boys. I get along with them better. So when I think of a group of all female, wifey, mommy-types getting together to "bond", every cell in my body wants to run for the hills.

My issues with Relief Society (not really the organization itself which is actually a great idea but more so with the self-righteous brats that flood it's super uncomfortable folding metal chairs) are enough to make a whole post on their own. This post is about "homekmaking".

I have a bad habit of seeing what others have/do/are and then feeling crappy about my deficits. In particular lately I've been noticing how many people around are out decorating their cute homes, making super yummy dinners, trying new cleaning products, etc etc. Now don't get me wrong, staying at home has never been in the plans for me. I enjoy my hectic busy life but sometimes I feel bad for Casey that he got the dud. Awful thing to say right? Try living in Utah for five years and try to tell me you don't feel like an inadequate wife sometimes. I think it's in the water (because it's surely not fluoride in there... just ask my dentist).

As I contemplated my weaknesses I realized that it's ok that I'm not June Cleaver. I really don't want to be June. I HATE cooking. I DESPISE cleaning. And I am way to inept at decorating to even think about starting down that dark alley! But...I get by. I, my friends, am what I like to call a home "maintainer".

I don't have the time or frankly the energy to produce a five course spread every night. I usually don't even touch the laundry until the closet is vomiting dirty clothes all over me. But we don't live in squalor. I cook maybe two nights out of the week. Casey cooks, he cleans, he fixes, he even decorates (good thing he's not a dud). I think it's pretty lame if a man expects his wife to do everything around the house when she's working too or in school, or both! Now if she was just sitting around the house all day and he was working ok sure whatever... but again I think that may be a topic for another post...

Anyways... this has been quite a wordy and probably irritatingly long blog for you to read but I feel better getting it out there. I am proud that my home hasn't become infested by termits or rodents and that my friends, is good enough for me!

4 comments:

Jules AF said...

I know exactly what you mean. I'm not even married, yet I still feel pressure to be a homey homemaker woman! Ridiculous! (But I kind of am inside anyway. ugh)
And I completely agree that men should share with the duties. If I cook, the man does the dishes and cleans up. That's how it freaking goes.

Veronica and TJ said...

I do the same thing. I always wish I did this or that better but I am what I am:)

brenda Casper said...

you pretty much suck as a wife.... I'm sorry Casey, but just think, when she turns 40 you can trade her in for two twenty year olds, odds are one of them will cook for you.

Greg and Sarah said...

i totally agree with you. i hate anything domestic....i guess greg got a dud too!