Wednesday, June 10, 2009

I hugged a tree, I hugged myself

Once I tried to recycle. I bought a little tupperware bin. I washed out our jars and broke down our cardboard boxes. The bin got full real fast. And then the floor around the bin got full real fast. And then my husband said if you don't take this to the recycling bin tonight I'm throwing it all in the trash tomorrow. Seems fair since the bin had been filling up for two weeks with no reprieve. So guess what happened. My recycling collection found its way to the dumpster. Don't judge me. The recycling dumpster thingy is like a whole parking lot over! It was winter and oh so cold for a walk! And that dang bin was just to dah small! It filled up like in a day! So we quickly returned to our previous tree killing, environment ruining, little critter home destroying state.

Until yesterday!

For the past year I have been noticing how much paper educational institutions waste. My nursing program has a full binder for each class (9 in all) and there are chuck full of one sided notes. Like I can't write my own I need them to copy 20 copies for everyone in the class. Seriously? So now that school is over I emptied the binders, removed staples, and even cut open the binders themselves to retrieve the cardboard in the cover! Yes! So much to recycle! It's summer now so that little walk to the other parking lot is far less daunting. I was so proud of myself!



5 comments:

brenda Casper said...

3 things....
1) Why not recycle the whole binder? Do you get off on extra work?
2) I thought you said that tank did not look good over a short sleeve...
3) Nice purse :)


I am a very observant person

Karen said...

3 responses...
1) I don't know if you can recycle the whole thing. I looked for the triangle symbol thingy but there was none to be found. And no I don't get off on extra work. I get off on being as lazy as possible.
2) I said I didn't love the tank over the shade tee but that I wear it and it's ok. I still want those cardigans!
3) Thanks! :) When you come out do I get to adopt the other one you said you'd give me when you were done with it?! :)

And you are observant. Funny thing is I thought of all these things when I posted the pictures. I knew you'd say them!

brenda Casper said...

So now I'm observant and predictable....

Karen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karen said...

Um yep, that's what I said huh?