Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Your husband might be a roofer if...

...he gets a huge sliver in his leg which he then proceeds to try and CUT IT OUT by himself with a blade used for cutting shingles. "Don't worry babe, it was a new blade and I rinsed it in hydrogen peroxide..." Um... ok...

So I got to the job site with tweezers in hand. I'm a nurse right? No big deal I'm allllll over it!

He doesn't even give me a chance to get out of the car. He hops in and tells me we are going to meet his boss (Keith). His boss' brother in law is a dermatologist. Apparently he gave Keith a scalpel and a few other supplies to "take care of business". Great, we are going to upgrade from roofing blade to scalpel wielded by an amateur. I'm sure you can all imagine how thrilled I was. "Don't worry babe, I brought super glue to seal it all up!" Great, fabulous. Super glue works wonders on minor cuts. Jagged gouges made by my dear husband in a futile attempt to remove the demon sliver from hell? Not so much.

Casey sure knows my weak points. At about the time I start explaining all the problems with this brilliant plan (infection, bleeding, masochism...) he says, "Hey... you wouldn't want to do it would you?" Oh brother. Yes, I want to do it. Please allow me to wield the scalpel. I'm a professional. Gag.

A little conversation for the trip down Main St... Casey: "So, muscle is REALLY hard to cut through." Oh brother.

For those of you thinking, "Why didn't he just go to the Instacare and claim worker's comp?" I am totally with you. "Because babe, it will cost my boss so much money I'd rather just do it this way."

Bless his boss' heart. We pull up outside his brother's office and Keith ushers us inside. They have an exam room ready and the physician's assistant proceeds to take care of things the proper way. Keith sure knows my hubby well, I'm very glad he tricked him into coming to the doctor's! I could have fainted from relief. But instead I nearly fainted from seeing them work on my hubby. C-Sections? Total knee replacements? Sure! No problem! Bring on the gore! But three inch incision and stitches on my dear Casey? I think I feel a little sick.


This is the hole Casey made on his own. It was taken with my cell phone so the quality's not great but suffice it to say he sure did a real hack job. Bless his heart.

As the P.A is slicing away Casey says in amazement, "Wow! That scalpel sure cuts better than that old blade of mine!" Yep.



This is the little bugger that caused all the trouble. It was pretty deep in there. The P.A had to dig around to get it all out.


This is before stitches. Pretty decent hole huh?

Anyways that was a really long way to get to the point. Casey got 8 stitches (14 if you count the ones under the skin). A prescription for antibiotics and a lecture about refraining from performing minor surgery on himself in the future.

The finished product!

You know I tease Casey about all of this but really I'm glad he gave me a good story to write about! And he's always good to balance me out. I'm the chick in Instacare with the sniffles crying because I think I have Swine Flu!

7 comments:

Karen said...

Casey kindly asked me to correct myself. The "little bugger" is only half of the demon sliver. He ripped the larger half out before I even got there. What a champ!

sherbugs said...

Ummm...I'm just going to blame pregnancy when I say this post made me want to vomit. I'm all for medical professionals doing their jobs, I just don't want to watch them do it :)

Erin said...

Oh man. Wow. I can handle blood and gore as well as the next person. I even do really well when watching Dr. 90210. But there were parts of this that made me want to gag.

Karen said...

Nice photos....I almost lost it! Yikes!

brenda Casper said...

That is a totally awesome hole-in-the-leg. You rock Casey. Jason has an awesome do it your self splinter story as well, I cringe just thinking a bout it.

Sierra said...

LOVE the title of this post... I read it and just started laughing cuz if anyone can relate, it's me! This post reminds me of how glad I am that we're over that hurdle in our lives :-) I'm glad Casey's ok... he's survived worse!

Leigh said...

I loved this post Karen. Particularly the photo of the giant hole in Casey's knee.